Tuesday, February 12, 2008

TJ's 1st Haircut!!!!!

I did the unthinkable this last weekend. I took TJ to get his hair cut for the first time ever with no camera! I know all you modern day moms out there who never leave home without a camera must think I'm crazy.
.
It wasn't a planned event. As Dwaine and I were finishing up a family grocery shopping trip, I thought it might be a good idea to run into Cool Cuts for Kids to do what definitely needed to be done (after all, D had just made a comment that morning that it was probably time to do something about that out-of-control hair- something I had been aware of for about the last couple of weeks).
.
What I said was "Man, I wish we could go get T's hair cut while we're out, but I don't have the camera." Dwaine gently reminded me that everything should not revolve around the camera and I knew he was right.
.
So I nervously sat TJ down in the fire engine chair without my camera. Nervous more because I wasn't sure if I was ready to say goodbye to some of those fluffy curly locks. I instructed the stylist to be sure she left plenty of curls- just shape it up a little and get it out of his eyes. And, please be sure to catch them before they hit the floor- they will definitely be making it into the baby book just like daddy's blonde curls which are tucked away safely in his baby book.
.
So, yes, this picture-worthy event occured without a camera. And to make me feel worse, right as we were finishing up, another curly headed little boy sat down in the chair next to TJ for his very first haircut. His mom was of course standing by with camera in hand snapping great shots like a good mom should.
.
Thankfully, I feel no great void or emptiness from never having seen "before", "during" and "after" pics of my first haircut, so I think TJ is gonna be alright and hopefully I will be too:-)
.
All was not lost however, 'cause we do have one polaroid of the "after" courtesy of Cool Cuts for Kids (which is overpriced by the way)...


Yay! Still plenty of curls left and they are actually a little tighter now. Doesn't he look handsome! He did great- no tears. He just sat super still with his thumb in his mouth the whole time- a little something TJ does in new and uncertain situations (kind of helpful for mommy!)


These are a few "before" pictures for reference. The one above being just days before the cut. And, the one below was taken on a particularly bad day a while back.
I literally chased him around the house after we got home trying to get a good pic of his new do...
By the time I was able to snap any shots, his hair was a little messed up again.
Hiding from the camera and climbing and jumping on the couch. I finally tackled him on Alli's bed. I think he thought we were playing a game, but I was serious about trying to get a pic.

Speaking of new hairdo's, Alli also got a cut this weekend. Hers, however was not overpriced. It was free! Mom has a few tricks up her sleeve...
Not too bad if I do say so myself.

..

Dad also got his hair cut by yours truly, but he wouldn't let me take any pics of his new do for the blog. OK, so I didn't really try to take any pics of him, but he does look very handsome. You'll have to take my word for it!

2 comments:

Steph said...

TJ's haircut looks so good and he looks like such a big boy now! Even Autumn said "Is he big now?" I never asked you but I didn't know Dwaine had curly hair when he was little (or else I forgot that) but that would definitely explain TJ's blond locks! Don't feel bad- I only have one lone picture of Shelby getting her pic taken at the place and it's of her crying while they did it- not near as good as the one you got of TJ.
I agree- Cool Cuts is way overpriced. I took both of mine for their first cut and haven't been back!
You did a great job with Alli's hair. I couldn't do that- I don't think straight lines would result! Luckily the girls don't have to get haircuts very often! Autumn has had two and Shelby has had one!

Anonymous said...

At first I was sad when I read that TJ got a haricut b/c I adore the long locks. But I see there are still plenty left.
Don't feel bad. I forgot to take a camera to Maddy's 1st fieldtrip and had to borrow a camera. We can not be perfect all the time-right?

XOXO
Aunt April