Friday, January 30, 2009

Alli's Ariel Party

Alli had been asking for an Ariel birthday party for months before her 4th birthday. Thankfully, she never changed her mind so mommy got to planning and we pulled off a pretty fun party fit for a princess...As most of you know, I insist on making my kid's birthday cakes. I really enjoy the creativity of it and learning new baking and decorating tips, but I would enjoy it a LOT more if I wasn't trying to accomplish it with 2 little "helpers" who can't seem to stay out of the kitchen.
Let's just say cake making day is rather stressful and is starting to make me think that it's not worth it. Especially since it coincides with house cleaning day being that we have always had the party at our house. One of these things may have to go next time (I'm thinking it will be a location change- not sure if I'm ready to throw in the baker's hat yet).
Alli enjoyed showing me exactly where she wanted each starfish, seashell and Flounder icing decoration. She was really excited about the whole thing!

We rented a princess castle bounce house and it was a big hit- not only with the kids. Daddy and Mr Travis have a few bumps and bruises to prove it. Somebody forgot to tell them they are in their 30's now.
Alli striking her best mermaid pose. Unfortunately, bounce houses make for some blurry pictures.

Alli was so excited to have so many of her friends come to her party. You could tell she really felt special.

Even 2 of her best friends from mother's day out were able to make it!



Alli showing off the princess wands she decorated.

Helping TJ decorate his crown.


Cake time!!!
Yummy!

Jake and TJ decided it was more fun to tear the streamers down than to walk through them. Those boys are T-R-O-U-B-L-E
A new personalized Belle nightgown- super cool!

And she really likes her new dollhouse and so do all the princess Barbies who now have a place to live!

After all the festivities were over and the kids were resting, Dwaine and I were laying in bed and I glanced up at some pictures on the wall of Alli when she was about 15mos old and I started to cry. Where have these 4 years gone and why is it all so fuzzy in my memory? I want so desperately to hold on to these times and yet they keep racing past. I jokingly tell the kids they can't get any older and to stay just like they are knowing that tomorrow they will learn a new word or phrase, grow a little taller, speak a little clearer, get tiny freckles on her nose, those curls will become straighter...

So, Dwaine did his best to help me recall some memorable moments of them at younger ages. It was hard, but eventually I could see it in my head. I don't want all of my memories to come from a picture or a video. I want to see it in my head and it upsets me when I can't.

I want to truly soak in every moment, enjoy these precious children as they are right now, and remember all the fun times we've shared as a family knowing that there will be many more to come.

Thank you God for this amazing experience known as motherhood. It truly is a blessing!

3 comments:

Steph said...

Oh I know exactly how you feel! It scares me to death to think of them growing up even though it is so exciting to think about at the same time.
I've really noticed lately that it's hard to recall what Autumn was like as a baby and just seems like she's been a big kid for a long time now. Shelby is not as hard to remember but, then again, there's a whole lot more baby in her than there was in Autumn.

I'm glad Alli had a fun time at her party. Your cake and cupcakes came out really cute as usual. If I were you (and notice I'm saying if I were YOU not me!) I'd keep doing the cakes and have the party somewhere else to give yourself somewhat of a break. It has always seemed like tons more work when we have the parties at home with the cleaning and preparing.

Melissa Beth said...

I am with Steph... do the cakes, but have the party elsewhere. I mean, we love parties at your house, but I can attest to the fact that you are able to enjoy your child on that day more when you are not looking for a pickle fork, if you know what I mean.

Alli has grown so much just since we met her. It's amazing. Sad but amazing.

Rachel said...

You just brought tears to my eyes. My baby is about to turn 8- I can't believe it. Oh- how I don't want to forget a single moment either!! : )