Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Hurtful Words

Alli: I know how I'm gonna be when I grow up and I'm a parent.

Me: Oh yeah? How? (somewhat excited to hear the answer)

A: Better than y'all (pointing at Dwaine and me).

So, at this point, I'm hurt, stunned, somewhat amused and not sure what to say, but I manage with:
You know, I can remember thinking that as a kid, but sometimes being a parent is really hard.

*************************************************************

A little later (and obviously still a little hurt by her words), I say to Alli:
So what are you going to do when you're a mom?

A: I'm gonna play with my kids whenever and I won't do chores until my wife gets home.

OUCH!

And then I proceeded to correct her on the fact that she'll have a husband, not a wife. I couldn't help it.

I later gently reminded her of all the things mommy and daddy do for her and how much we love her, but I heard my lesson too. And I'll try not to put chores before my kids. I'm just not very good at this time management stuff sometimes.

At some point during all this, Alli informed me that she is going to have 10 kids. In that case- she IS going to have to be a much better mom than me :-) Oh, and TJ is going to have 5! Woohoo for 15 grandbabies!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

WOW!
You are going to be one poor grandma.

Melissa Beth said...

OUCH - yep they are good at calling it like they see it. Reminds me of Jack saying, "Mommy, one day, when you are not on the phone, and not on the computer, and the baby is asleep, can I teach you how to make a paper airplane?"

Triple OUCH.

You're amazing... and when Alli's driving her bus full of kids, she's a Mom, she'll realize it even more. :)

Julie said...

Oops. Proceeded....not preceded. Can't believe you didn't correct me on that one Melissa.

Melissa Beth said...

I figured you'd heard enough hurtful words for one day. *wink