Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Let's Eat Cake!!!

For Alli's first birthday, we had a cupcake party. My wonderful neighbor Pam (aka Nana Pam) and I decorated cupcakes with various cute designs and it was lots of fun.

So, for her second I decided it would be fun to make her an Elmo cake (I always remember the cookie monster cake my mom made for my sister's birthday growing up- the only cake I remember, so apparently it had a lasting impression). Well, it proved to be a little harder and take a little longer than I expected, but in the end, the Elmo cake turned out great.

Now, for TJ's birthday I decided to make things difficult for myself again (don't get me started on the stress involved with making the video montage - thanks for that idea Becca). I tackled a dump truck cake knowing it would probably be even more difficult than the Elmo cake. I set aside an entire day for it and recruited lots of help mainly to keep the kids out of the kitchen, but also to help with cake decorating (thank you so much again Nana Pam, Laura & Daddy).

Well, I think it was a success and even though it is much more work and not really any less expensive than ordering a cake, I'm sure I'll continue to do it in the future. I love a challenge and after all, it does make me a better mom right? :-)


And, it was yummy too...


Mmmmm, cake!
Making sure he gets every last crumb and as you can see, there were LOTS of crumbs!
Before the cupcake exploded all over his tray!




4 comments:

Steph said...

The cake and cupcakes turned out so good!! It does look like a LOT of work! You are a brave woman to tackle that!

Tracey said...

The truck cake looks awesome. Good job. I had fun with the Elmo cake, but yeah...lots of work. I may attempt Lightening McQueen...but we'll have to see what he is into in December. Thanks for the comment on my blog and check it out whenever you get a chance. I don't blog as often as Melissa, but I do my best!

Melissa Beth said...

Yes, Julie... Your cake decorating DOES make you a better mom. As if the home-grown tomato garden wasn't enough.

Love you!

Francey said...

I think if Trav and TJ were to be together it would have to be in a padded room. Travis also has a year on TJ, so it would be really bad.
I read your story and it sounds like a day in our home. I have given up on many things, and Travis not getting into trouble is one of them. Good luck Girl- I feel for you!
But you have to admit- they are a lot of fun- and very different from having a little girl.