Monday, October 27, 2008

Haircuts

Took the kids to a real salon to get haircuts back in September. Didn't want to spend the extra money it cost to go to the kids salon and thought they could handle the real deal. Both of the kids did great, but not sure I liked the stylist too much. Poor Alli was sitting as still as possible for a 3 yr old but her little chin kept drifting down and the hairdresser kept telling her to stop moving and I could tell the lady was getting frustrated. I think it bothered me more than it did Alli though- I was just so pleased with how good she was being and was really wanting one of those stylists who is used to dealing with small children.

She had been with Daddy a while back to get his hair cut and I think she thought it was cool to be the one in the chair this time. We don't do haircuts often in this family, so this is still a new thing for the kids.


I just thought this was so cute!


And the finished product- shorter than I had intended, but it has worked out really well and I like it (after I added a little layering on the ends so it looked a little softer - not sure why hairdressers don't do that for kids or do I need to ask for that next time?)

TJ's hair had gotten a little out of control as evidenced by this picture. But as I have mentioned before, I am just terrified of losing his curls and I really like the surfer boy look on him, so it is very hard for me to trust someone not to cut too much off. This particular visit did nothing but validate my fear.
His hair had been in his eyes so I told the hairdresser that all I wanted was to take a little off of the front to get it out of his eyes but not to take any length off the rest. Well she didn't take any length off the sides or back like I asked, but she got way too carried away with the front and top. My heart sank a little when she took the scissors to it the second time and it was too late for me to say anything.



As you can see, it just looked silly. I thought maybe after I got him home and scrunched his curls that it would get better, but I think it just got worse. He looked like he had a girl's do with wings from the 80's. I ended up having to even it up myself in the bath one night and that helped. And of course now it's to the point that he probably needs to have it cut again, but I think I'll wait just a little while longer!

2 comments:

Melissa Beth said...

So funny! And so NOT funny, I know. Jack had a pretty bad haircut once (as I have told you) and my heart sank as he looked like a took a straight piece of tape across the top of his forehead and cut along the tape. It was awful. It sure has grown out cute and I will cross my fingers and toes when you go in next time. I am nervous already!

Anonymous said...

I love the pics! When did they get the very first? Maverick already has one side of his head where the hair hangs over his ear! I think PoPo Stryk will be giving his grandbaby a haircut before we even make it to the one year mark. :)