Saturday, May 08, 2010

Garage Birds

We have had birds trying to build a nest in our garage for a few years now, but they would always try to build right on top of our shoes or would get shut out at night and would never be able to finish the job. Well, they found a way in and out even when the doors are closed and were finally successful...

That's mama bird sitting on her eggs in the nest that is resting in our car wash supply bucket. Oh well- guess we won't be able to wash the cars for a while (which is not a big deal since we are in 2 rentals right now, but that's another story).
And those are the tiny baby birds the day they hatched. I was so excited when I walked out there expecting to see the eggs or the mama bird and I saw those little beaks instead. Hi babies!!
Is that not the cutest ugly thing you have ever seen? They grow up so fast.

Turns out there are 6 of these little guys. We were pretty certain there were 5 until today when I could clearly see 6. I guess one has been hiding under the others. Mom and dad have been very busy flying back and forth taking care of them.

I just love checking on them everyday. The other day I found one outside the nest, so Dwaine carefully put him back in using a paper towel so mama wouldn't smell human on him. Not sure how he wandered out but it's a good thing all those car wash mits were there to catch him. We used to talk about how stupid those birds were for trying to build in our garage, but maybe they aren't so stupid after all.


1 comment:

The Currie Family said...

Who likes the birds more, you or the kids?! :o)

definitely the cutest ugly thing I have seen in awhile!!